LEGAL LOCAL EXPERT - British Embassy in Pristina
Prishtinë, 01/06/2020 -
Job Description Legal Expert:
The British Embassy in Pristina in co-operation with the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) of the Republic of Kosovo is seeking to recruit two (2) Legal Experts to assist the Ministry in drafting key pieces of legislation, which will help close legal loopholes that facilitate impunity.
The successful candidates will apply his or her expertise in legal drafting to assist the Ministry in amending and adding to the current legislation. The key deliverables will include amendment of the legislative agenda, contribution to drafting the civil code, supporting the ‘Functional Review’ of the rule of law in Kosovo, supporting the reform of commercial justice and providing support to the International Legal Co-operation Department and State Advocacy Department. This is a fixed term position until 31 March 2021.
- To work within the civil service of the MoJ, in accordance with the agreement between the Secretary General and AXIOM International regarding working practices and reporting.
- Draft legal acts and policy documents in line with the Ministry of Justice legislative programme
- Provide technical assistance through research and analysis, drafting and revision of legislation and codes, regulations, rules of procedure, and other instruments necessary for the administration of justice
- Ensure institutional capacity and professional development of key MoJ functional (non-political) responsibilities by strengthening skills and knowledge related to EU standards and mechanisms
- Provide support to the MoJ in the ‘Functional Review’ initiative, in delivering its end-product in line with the highest European standards, and its monitoring of the FRRoL Strategy
- Provide technical support to MoJ strategic planning processes on justice sector reform, with a special focus in commercial justice
- Participate and assist the MoJ in all working groups addressing justice related laws and initiatives
- Identify the learning and development needs and in cooperation with the management of the MoJ, support officers working in the Legal Department and Department for European Integration and Policy Coordination.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in Law (a Bachelor’s degree with additional relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree)
- Significant relevant experience working on legislation
- Experience in drafting legislation and policy documents
- Familiarity with European acquis requirements
- Excellent written and spoken Albanian and English (C2 level)
- Expert knowledge of rule of law and justice issues in Kosovo
- Ability to work closely with Kosovo and international institutions
- Positive and engaging communication skills
- Honesty and integrity.
Interested candidates should send a CV with a covering letter in English (maximum 500 words), setting out how they meet the job criteria along with two letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 June 2020.
The recruitment process will be based solely on knowledge and experience and will be conducted in an open and transparent manner. Only qualified experts will be selected for interview. Interviews will take place in Pristina, in compliance with COVID-19 precaution guidance. The successful candidates are expected to start work during July 2020, subject to verification of relevant certificates and references.
Type of Position
Fixed Term, Full-time, subject to one-month notice period – Contracted via AXIOM International on behalf of British Embassy Pristina.
Working hours per week 40
Gross from £1,497 to £1,897 depending on level of experience (effective rate in Euros may vary according to the exchange rate)
Only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.